Date of Birth
September 7, 1959
Date of Death
July 12, 2023
Place of Passing
Branch of Service
Years of service
Marine CorpsSeptember 7, 1959 - July 12, 2023
Joseph was born in Amite Louisiana. Following his graduation from Amite High School in 1977 he enlisted in the Marine Corps in July of the same year. He attended Recruit Basic Training at MCRD San Diego, California then attended Fieldwire Training School in Pendleton California, and graduated as PFC Holden in March of 1978.
Upon graduation, he was assigned to Headquarters Battery, 1st BN 11th Marine Artillery Regiment as a basic Fieldwire 2512 until July 1979 where he was meritoriously promoted to Corporal. In July of 1979, Corporal Holden attended Drill Instructor (DI) school in San Diego California. Quickly following his graduation, he was promoted to Sergeant and assigned as a Drill Instructor for Mike Company 3rd Recruit Training BN.
During his tour of (DI) from Oct. 1979 to Jan 1982 he was assigned as the Sergeant Senior Drill Instructor after only 2 and ½ platoons as a Junior Drill Instructor. As the Senior DI for 4 Recruit Platoons, he tied 1 Initial Drill competition and won all Parade Plt of the Week and Final Drill competitions within his Company. He set a regimental record for attaining the highest drill score percentage grading system at the time and received the Navy Achievement Medal 1st Award and meritorious promotion to SSGT on July 2nd, 1981.
Master Sergeant (Ret.) Holden's duty stations and assignments were:
- Headquarters Battery, 1st BN 11th Marine Artillery Regiment as a basic Fieldwire 2512.
Mike Company, 3rd Recruit Training BN, as a Drill Instructor
- HQ Company 9th Mar Regiment, Okinawa Japan as the Wire Chief
- MCAS Beaufort South Carolina as the Wire Chief for MABS-31 MACS-5 as the Communication Chief
- I & I duty, duty USMC, in Indiana Indianapolis as the Communication Chief & Operations Chiefs for two Reserve Companies
- 1st Armored Assault BN, Okinawa, JA, Communication Chief
- H&S Company 1st SRIG
Marine Corps Logistics Base (MCLB) Barstow CA, Communication Chief Branch, Resource Management Division
Master Sergeant (Ret.) Holden's notable awards and decorations included:
- Good Conduct Medal (7)
- Navy Achievement Medal (3)
- Sea Service Deployable Ribbon (2)
- Navy Commendation Metal
- National Defense Service Medal
- Navy Unit Commendation
- Marine Corps Drill Instructor Ribbon
Schools that Master Sergeant (Ret.) Holden attended:
- Marine Corps Recruit Depot (Recruit Training MCRD) in San Diego, CA, in 1977
- Fieldwire Training School in Camp Pendleton, CA, in 1978
- Drill Instructor school in San Diego, CA, in 1979
- Wire Chief School at C&E School, 29 Palms, CA, in 1982
- Senior Noncomminson Officer (SNCO) Academy, in 1983
- Automatic Central Operator Course at the Army Signal School, Fort Gordon, GA, in 1984 where he graduated as Distinguished Graduate.
- Communication Chief School, 29 Palms, CA, in 1985
Master Sergeant (Ret.) Holden dedicated an impressive 21 years of service to his country and retired from the Marine Corps Logistics Base (MCLB) in Barstow California, on July 31, 1998.
Master Sergeant (Ret.) Holden is proceeded in death by his father Leonard Percy Holden, Sr. and Mother Ethel Lee Wilson Holden and 4 siblings: Mammie Lee Holden, Calvin Holden, Ethel Mae Bates, and James Bennett Holden, Sr.
He is survived by his wife, Audrey Holden, 4 children; Sarah Hamilton, Suzannia Holden, Joseph Jr, and Alisha Holden; 2 grand children; Seiarria Robinson and Michael Robinson and 6 Siblings: Martha Lee Brooks, Leonard Percy Holden, Jr. (Lois), Helen Alice Varnado, JoJo Holden, Linda Faye James (Waymond) and Elmer Holden (Rena.)